A Court of Wings and Ruin - A Court of Thorns and Roses #3 - Sarah J. Maas

06:35:00 Victoria 0 Comments


Sum up: (Goodreads)

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin’s maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit—and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well. As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords—and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

A Court of Wings and Ruin - A Court of Thorns and Roses #3 - Sarah J. Maas


Some scenes contain sexual and violent contents that may offend sensibilities of readers.

BIG SPOILERS ALERT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST TWO BOOK!

Plot:

Feyre is now back at the Court of Spring but she has a plan. She will destroy the Court of Spring from within. But she has to do it smartly and smoothly so that no one can understand she is planning, especially not Jurian and King Hybern who has spies everywhere. No one sees anything except Lucien who is suspicious.

When her plans are finally falling into place, it does not happen the way it should have and she ends up bringing Lucien along with her. She finally comes back home only to find her sisters more broken than ever and a war ahead to plan. 

When Feyre and her friends understand that they will never win this war by themselves and they need the help of every Court - and I mean all of them - they will realize that trust is very dangerous, especially when allies become ennemies and ennemies turn out to be friends...


Opinion:

First thing first, this book is much slower than the previous one. A Court of Mist and Fury was all about twists and action. I felt like this book revolved around the strategies and the upcoming war. We had less Rhys-Feyre moments, which saddened me. I was expecting more. More emotional rollercoaster, more joy, more tears, more suspens, more shock... The second book completely wrecked me and even though, this one was nice and I enjoyed it, I still felt like there was something missing.

About the characters... 

Feyre character evolved so much. She is now a High Lady, a friend, a sister, a mate, a warrior but she is also a politician. She takes decisions and she takes responsibilities for it, no matter what. The way she plotted against Tamlin and the Court of Spring was so well described. She is so much mature now and she is ready to manipulate for her plans to work. She is also ready to bargain with everyone and everything to win this war.

"You were right,” Lucien declared at last. “That girl I knew did die Under the Mountain."

I love the part Feyre took in this war. She was truly revealed as a High Lady. She took decisions and everyone just supported her, no matter how crazy her ideas and actions were.

But this is war. We don’t have the luxury of good ideas—only picking between the bad ones.

Sarah Maas really knew how to perfectly detail the trauma Feyre went through. She is a true magician with words. I feel like everyone could relate to what she and other characters went through.

Rhys is still the super cute guy that we met in the first book and fell in love with in the second book. But he is still really stubborn. He prefers taking the weight of the world on his shoulders instead of asking for help.

I feel sorry that we didn't see more of Rhysand. The second book of this series was focused on the growing romance between the Feyre and Rhysand and now, I just felt disappointed that we did not see more of them. But this is not the only time I was disappointed. Azriel-Morrigan, Nesta-Cassian, Amren-Varian... I feel like some love story lines were left aside when the writer could've developed them. I understand that she wanted to develop the war aspects and all the strategies the characters thought about to win this war but I think the writer missed some important part of the stories by deciding not to develop the love stories. Because it is war, I feel like the characters would not spend much time dancing around each other instead of going at it.

In this book, we get to learn more about Morrigan. I have to admit that I felt frustrated by her stagnant love story with Azriel and the turn the writer gave to this story frustrated me even more. But it is the way it is and I can only hope that both characters will find their happiness at some point. I still think that Morrigan is unfair to Azriel to not tell him the truth.

Cassian and Nesta were just too much. We finally what Cassian was worth on a battlefield and damn if it didn't give me goosebumps. Nesta was still slightly getting on my nerves. I liked to see a new side of her but her angry-cold side was just annoying at some point.

I was also expecting more Lucien moments in this book but no. We see him during the first quarter of the book and a bit at the end and that's it. I mean, he left everything behind and we don't even see how he adjusts and adapts to this new life. He was always faithful to Tamlin and his court and now, he is surrounded by people he doesn't know, in a city he never heard of. I would've loved to have more coming from him. 

Sarah Maas introduced new - and old - second characters and I really want to see more of them: Helion, Kallas and Viviane, Miryam, Drakon, Varian, Tarquin, Nephelle, Vassa... There are so much more to be told. Even Tamlin and Jurian's stories.

I am very happy that I discovered this writer. I will probably try to read more of her works.


Excerpts:

“Only you can decide what breaks you, Cursebreaker. Only you.”


“Remember that you are a wolf. And you cannot be caged.”


“And will you come with me; On this adventure - and all the rest?""Always”

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires: