Delirium - Delirium #1 - Lauren Oliver

00:16:00 Victoria 0 Comments


Sum Up: (Goodreads)

Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't. 


I discovered Lauren Oliver with the Delirium saga and since then, I have been in love with all her books. 

Picture of Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Plot:

What is Delirium about? It deals with a world that looks like ours but is completely different. Love is considered as the worst scourge ever. Since she was child, she was brainwashed and with the mother’s suicide when she was younger because she couldn’t go over the loss of Lena’s father, she shared the same belief as her society. She is eager to finally undergo this surgery that is completed on eighteen year-old teenagers to remove the love gene called “deliria”.
Scared of becoming her mother, Lena lives for rules. On the other hand, her best friend Hana lives on the borders of legality. She is the funny and outgoing character. She pushes Lena to follow her and stop living only for rules.
Because of her she is about to meet Alex. And after this, nothing will ever be the same.

“Everyone is asleep. They’ve been asleep for years. You seemed… awake.” Alex is whispering now. He closes his eyes, opens them again. “I’m tired of sleeping.”



Opinion:

This was such a beautiful love story in a context where love is forbidden. How do you love when you are not allowed to? Lauren Oliver has a very beautiful writing. The way she is telling you this love story between Lena and Alex is full of poetry, which makes it even more authentic. In a way it reminded me of your first love. How scared you are to feel such strong feelings for someone. Here, Lena was the same.

“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That’s what it is: an edge. A razor. It draws up though the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”
It also makes us wonder what would happen in a world without feelings. Would it be a better place because people do not feel love, passion, envy, hate, anger…? It would mean no murders, no crimes, no wars… Or would it be worse in the contrary?
This story is a must-read. Lena counting the day before her surgery gives so much rhythm to the book. You feel how stressed and desperate she becomes the closest she is to undergo this surgery.

“Thirty-three days until the procedure.
Thirty-two days.
Thirty days.” 
When Alex is telling poetry to Lena… I was so hooked because it looked just so perfect in this imperfect world. I could almost hear the crickets and feel the breeze on my face.
Throughout this book, your emotions will go up and down. You are facing a lot of love, magical and beautiful moments. But you are also facing twists, suspens, and this ending… My! My! This ending… I wouldn’t even know how to describe it.

“You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way.
But I have a secret.”
To know which one, read the book!

N.B: there was supposed to be a TV show but unfortunately for us it wasn't released.

Tags: book, books, book review, blog, blogger, book blogger, book community, young adult, literature, fiction, Delirium, Laurenn Oliver, romance, fantasy, teen

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires: